Here are some of the fascinating facts and figures about the human brain.
- A piece of brain tissue the size of a grain of sand contains 100,000 neurons and 1 billion synapses all communicating with each other.
- The average brain has around 50,000 thoughts per day and 70% of them are believed to be negative.
- More than 100,000 chemicals reactions take place in your brain every second.
- In general, men’s brains are 10% bigger than women’s, even after taking into account larger body size.
- Albert Einstein’s brain weighed in at 2.71 pounds — 10% smaller than the average of 3 pounds.
- Neanderthal brains were 10% larger than our homo sapiens brains.
- We are not getting smarter. Since the Victorian era, average IQs have gone down 1.6 points per decade for a total of 13.35 points.
- Surprisingly, millennials (aged 18 to 34) are more forgetful than baby boomers. They are morelikely to forget what day it is or where they put their keys than their parents!
- We’ve always compared the brain to the most advanced technology of the day. It’s been compared to a clock, a switchboard, a computer, and most recently to the internet.
- Our attention spans are getting shorter. In 2000, the average attention span was 12 seconds. Now it’s 8 seconds. That’s shorter than the attention span of the average goldfish which is 9 seconds.
- Brain cells cannibalize themselves as a last ditch source of energy to ward off starvation. So in very real ways dieting can force your brain to eat itself.
- Yourbrain’s storage capacity is considered virtually unlimited. It doesn’t get “used up” like RAM in your computer.
- The popular myth that we use only 10% of our brains is flat-out wrong. Brain scans clearly show that we use most of our brain most of the time, even when we’re sleeping.
- There is no such thing as a left-brain or right-brain personality type. We are notleft-brained or right-brained; we are “whole brained.”
The Scriptures were not given for our information, but for our transformation.
-D. L. Moody-
THE MIND IS DECEITFUL
- The Mind is deceitful
Jeremiah 17:9 (GWT)
The human mind is the most deceitful of all things. It is incurable. No one can understand how deceitful it is.
- The Mind is Childish
1 Corinthians 13:11 NIV
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
- Bad thoughts lead to death.
James 1:14 A man is tempted to do wrong when he lets himself be led by what his bad thoughts tell him to do. 15 When he does what his bad thoughts tell him to do, he sins. When sin completes its work, it brings death.
- Don’t Be Stupid
1 Peter 1:14 (TLB)
14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.
GET CONTROL OF YOURSELF
- The Mind needs to be controlled
- Ephesians 4:22-24 (NKJV) that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
- Idolatry Begins in the Mind
2 Corinthians 10:5 (KJV)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- Controlled by The Holy Spirit Titus 3:5 (NIV) 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
- Walk on the Spirit Galatians 5:16New King James Version (NKJV
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
2 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
- The Benefits of having a mind under control.
- Peace: Transformed mind
Romans 8:6 “For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.”
Isaiah 26:3 (NLT)
You will keep in perfect peace
all who trust in you,
all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
- God’s Kindness
1 Peter 1:13 (TLB) So now you can look forward soberly and intelligently to more of God’s kindness to you when Jesus Christ returns.
- New Life
I Corinthians 2:16 “’For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?’ But we have the mind of Christ.”
- Purpose, Usefulless, Prosperity
Psalm 1 (NKJV)
Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
Psalm 1The Message
1 How well God must like you—
you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon,
you don’t slink along Dead-End Road,
you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College.
2-3 Instead you thrill to God’s Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.
You’re a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.
Focus your mind intentionally on the good.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
1 Peter 1:13
Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.